June 2018 Meeting Agenda
Wednesday, June 13t h, 2018 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
International Union of Operating Engineers Local 627
9412 N Robinson Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73114
1. Welcome and Introductions
2. New and Renewing Member Recognitions
3. Review of meeting minutes from May 2018.
4. Presentation from Mr. Loyd Drain, J.D. – Energy Consultant & Co-Chair of the Steering
Committee for the NREL SEAM Study and TransGrid-X 2035 Symposium
Mr. Loyd G. Drain is an energy consultant currently residing in the Houston, TX area with plans to
relocate to Shawnee, OK in 2018.
The majority of Mr. Drain’s career has been in the Natural Gas Industry having held senior
positions with a number of major energy companies including Phillips Petroleum; Rosewood
Resources (a Hunt Company); TransCanada; and AIG Trading. For the last twelve (12} years, the
Generation & Transmission segments of the Power Industry have been his major focus. He most
recently held the Executive Director’s position at the Wyoming Infrastructure Authority reporting
to a five-member Board of Directors appointed by the Governor of Wyoming, with the advice and
consent of the Wyoming State Senate.
Loyd holds a B.S. degree in Industrial Engineering from Texas A&M University and a Juris Doctor
Degree from the University of Tulsa, College of Law. Mr. Drain has been a member of the Texas Bar
since 1983. In addition, Mr. Drain is a member of the Advisory Board for the Jackson Hole Center
of Global Affairs.
• Government Affairs
• Education Outreach
• Energy Efficiency/ Complimentary Technology
• Solar Energy
• Wind Energy
• Other Announcements
6. Next Meeting
• We will meet Wednesday, July 11th at 10:00 am
OREC Regular Meeting
Wednesday, May 9, 2018
International Union of Operating Engineers Local 627 Building 9412 N Robinson Ave, Oklahoma City,
1. Call To Order Tyson Taussig called the meeting to order at 10:05 a.m. In his introduction he
outlined the educational emphasis of OREG, and introduced OREEP. He said that a lack of
education about the subject is the biggest barrier to adoption of renewable energy. OERB, which
provided energy education provides very little information about renewables, OREG and OREEP can
contribute to this shortfall. All present in person were welcomed and asked to introduce
2. Presentation by Doug Weirick and Tara Barker.
3. New/Renewing Members
• ODEQ renewed government membership
• Windcatcher Project – Frank reported that the Osage Mineral Council had rejected the preferred
northern route through Osage county of the dedicated transmission line, and that there was mounting
opposition to the alternative southern route. Sarah Terry-Cobo provided more information that
the Councils rejection was associated with the extraction of material for the tower foundations.
• Bill tracking – Tyson reported that it was being updated, and that although SB888 (cap on
existing wind tax credits) had failed, it should be anticipated that the issue will come up again.
• At the end of the presentation Steve Stadler (OSU) talked about their resource of teachers,
and passed information about that to Doug. There was much discussion about resources after the
presentation (the Kirkpatrick Foundation had commented that more people would benefit the
initiative), and a sign up sheet was passed around asking for volunteers to help OREEP.
Energy efficiency/Complimentary Technology
• Tyson reported that OGE is out of all rebate money for this year, and that the contracts for
operating the efficiency projects for them (and PSO) are up for renewal/rebid this year.
• None (but see “Government Announcements”)
Speaker for next month Loyd Drain, Energy Consultant & Co-Chair of the Steering Committee for the
NREL SEAM Study and TransGrid-X 2035 Symposium.
5. Minutes The group reviewed the April 2018 minutes. One error was noted, the grant that OREEP
received from the Kirkpatrick Foundation should have been $125k, not $123k. With this corrected,
the minutes were approved unanimously; motion by Nina Carlson, seconded by Ray Chambers.
6. General Discussion
7. Next Meeting is June 13th, 10 AM-12 PM at the same location, 9412 N Robinson Ave,
Oklahoma City, OK 73114.
8. Meeting adjourned at 11:30 AM by Tyson Taussig.
Respectfully submitted, Frank Reid
OREC April Attendance
Frank Reid Ray Chambers Tyson Taussig Doug Weirick Jeff James Sean West
Caroline Halter Nina Carlson Arturo Delgardo Becca Castleberry Sarah Terry-Cobo Tara Barker
Bob Moore Len Nones Steve Stadler