USDA Designates 48 Counties in Oklahoma as Primary Natural Disaster Areas with Assistance to Producers in Surrounding States

WASHINGTON, Feb. 27, 2017 — In response to a request from Lyndal Stout, Farm Service Agency’s (FSA) acting State Executive Director in Oklahoma, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has designated 48 counties in Oklahoma as primary natural disaster areas due to losses and damages caused by a recent drought. Those counties are:

Adair Garfield McCurtain Pontotoc
Atoka Garvin McIntosh Pottawatomie
Bryan Grady Murray Pushmataha
Canadian Haskell Muskogee Roger Mills
Cherokee Hughes Noble Rogers
Choctaw Johnston Okfuskee Seminole
Cimarron Kingfisher Oklahoma Sequoyah
Cleveland Latimer Okmulgee Texas
Coal Le Flore Osage Tulsa
Creek Lincoln Pawnee Wagoner
Dewey Logan Payne Woods
Ellis McClain Pittsburg Woodward
Farmers and ranchers in the following counties in Oklahoma also qualify for natural disaster assistance because their counties are contiguous. Those counties are:

Alfalfa Carter Grant Mayes
Beaver Comanche Harper Nowata
Beckham Craig Kay Stephens
Blaine Custer Major Washington
Caddo Delaware Marshall

All counties listed above were designated natural disaster areas on Feb. 23, 2017, making all qualified farm operators in the designated areas eligible for FSA’s emergency (EM) loans, provided eligibility requirements are met. Farmers in eligible counties have eight months from the date of the declaration to apply for loans to help cover part of their actual losses. FSA will consider each loan application on its own merits, taking into account the extent of losses, security available and repayment ability. FSA has a variety of programs, in addition to the EM loan program, to help eligible farmers recover from adversity.

Other FSA programs that can provide assistance, but do not require a disaster declaration, include Operating and Farm Ownership Loans; the Emergency Conservation Program; Livestock Forage Disaster Program; Livestock Indemnity Program; Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program; and the Tree Assistance Program. Interested farmers may contact their local USDA Service Centers for further information on eligibility requirements and application procedures for these and other programs. Additional information is also available online at

About the Author

OK SW News
OK SW NEWS - - Bob Moore - 580-695-0331 -