a surefire remedy forgetting rid of hiccups that can strike a person anytime, anywhere!
It’s hard to forget the embarrassment of being attacked by hiccups in a library.
From that moment, I vowed to share my no-fail, portable hiccup antidote with everyone I met.
BEST CURE FOR HICCUPS
Some hiccups just can’t be stopped by breathing into a paper bag, drinking water fast while holding your nose, or having someone suddenly scare you.
Fortunately, you can find the ultimate cure for hiccups in a simple bowl of sugar. This remedy has always won my anti-hiccup battles with immediate results:
- Use your tongue to massage about a teaspoonful of sugar across the roof of your mouth for several seconds (the sugar will start melting). In a moment you’ll have relief from your hiccups. Repeat just once if necessary.
Another nice thing about this cure aside from how quickly it works is that it’s portable. You can carry a small, inexpensive packet of sugar almost anywhere to treat hiccups.
If you’d rather avoid sugar, here are some other options folks have suggested:
- Massage ice cubes against the roof of your mouth.
- Eat a spoonful of peanut butter.
- Breathe deeply into a small pillow filled with fragrant pine needles and think peaceful thoughts.
- Rub one earlobe between your thumb and forefinger.
- Bite your thumbs and then blow on them.
- Swallow a spoonful of vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, or something spicy hot.
Do you know of another reliable cure for the hiccups? Please share it below!
WHAT CAUSES HICCUPS
Hiccups are spasms of the diaphragm that can be brought on by gulping down your food or carbonated beverages, eating or drinking too much or too quickly, or experiencing strong emotions.
(Usually, hiccups last only a few minutes. If they last for days, see your doctor.)
Although hiccups tend to make a person more tense, it’s really important to try to calm yourself to help them go away. Visualizing the most tranquil place you know of or somewhere from your childhood may help you to relax. Our thoughts often have a powerful effect on our bodies.
Combining the healing power of your mind with your hiccup cure of choice, you can rejoice with, “H’up h’up away… hip hip Hooray!”
ABOUT THIS BLOG
Your Old Farmer’s Almanac editors occasionally share our reflections, advice, and musings—and welcome your comments. too.